Thursday, November 22, 2007

leaving Africa

So I just had a fabulously relaxing vacation in Lushoto. I did pretty much nothing for six days. It was the best thing I could have done for myself. Now I'm preparing myself to head out for India tomorrow morning. I have heard lots of things about it, good and bad. I'm kind of expecting it to be a little overwhelming. But also really exciting. Our classes in Tanzana have mostly been setting up the problems of globalization and development and I think India will be getting at more of the solutions to those problems. We'll be seeing a lot more grass-roots action and social movements plus lots of farms. I'm really excited about the farms because I'm doing my yearlong project on resistance to industrial agriculture and reclaiming traditional agricultural spaces. Lotsof research for me in India. Our country coordinator in India is very cool and a well connected anti-globalization activist (Smitu Kothari, look him up). Apparently he really likes to keep us in class for 12 hours a day though. We've been told to fight for our free time.

I just finished Ominivore's Dilemma. Excellent book everyone should read it. really. I'm about to start reading Deep Economy by Bill McKibbon. anyway. more updates in India

Love,

emma

No comments: